Sunday, October 9, 2016

Gobble, Gobble in Canada


I said I was going to post on the Canadian Thanksgiving. I’m a few days late, but at least I’m back blogging. I missed everyone and your comments.
The Canadian Thanksgiving occurs on the second Monday in October every year. It was officially proclaimed by the Canadian government on Thursday, January 31st, 1957. A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October.

It is a statutory holiday in all the Canadian provinces except Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, where it is an optional holiday.
It also coincides with the American Columbus Day and the English and European Harvest festival. And like the Americans we also have football games and parades in some area, on the day. It’s a three-day weekend and family do travel to be together. The standard fare includes turkey or ham, (and sometimes both. The sides usually include dressing, pork sausage cooked in the turkey neck, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, Brussel sprouts and pumpkin pie for dessert. Not sure how that menu compares to the American thanksgiving dinner.
I am thinking about the day and how much I had to be thankful for. My health, my sweet husband, my friends, my writing, my ability to enjoy a beautiful fall day, taste that wonderful turkey dinner and listen to beautiful music. I'm also thankful to be a Canadian and this year I am thankful to be living in Medicine Hat. My move here brought me close to family so I am cooking the turkey dinner for family this year.  

Anyone want to share what they're thankful for? Or maybe compare menus?
Happy Columbus Day to all my American friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment