Wednesday, April 2, 2014

5 SECRETS (What No One Knows About My Book)

Our guest author today is Victoria Adams, who is going to share some tidbits about the writing of her book that no one knows--until today.

Victoria Adams, (no photo – too shy) author of the Circle Trilogy was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. Victoria lives in the country where she takes long walks on her quiet country road and in the summer tends her flower gardens and vegetable patch and in the winter dreams about them, while they are buried under two feet of snow. Her large farm house now holds only her cat, herself, her husband and a ghost.

5 Things you Don't Know about Dancing in Circles (Book 1 – Circles Trilogy)
- The three cities in the book are all based on real cities. Westland is Ottawa, Ontario, Langston is Toronto, Ontario and Dorchester Lake is Lake Placid, NY.
 
-Robert's nickname is Dragon - because when he's angry it looks like he's about to breathe fire. His gang tagged him with the nickname. I used the nickname in a couple of scenes, but they were cut from the story.
- Julie - if she couldn't dance wanted to be a photo journalist. She has an innate love of art and if she couldn't express that through her dancing, she wanted to capture the beauty of the world through the lens of a camera.
-When I read it, there is a section where I can tell I wrote it after watching Mel Gibson's Hamlet. I can't point out how my voice changes, but when I read that section I flash to the lobby outside the theatre where I sat and waited for my ride and scribbled a scene in my notebook.
- This book was written so long ago, cell phones didn't exist. So I had to rewrite updating and changing scenes to fit the current cell phone obsession. There were scenes where someone couldn't be reached because there was no phone. In today' culture, that's pretty rare. At least once, I cheated and had the person have a dead battery in their cell.


Dancing in Circles (Book 1 – Circles Trilogy) – One born into privilege and a charmed life surrounded by love and family. The other born to a life of violence on the streets as the solemn gang leader of the notorious Shoresmen. A young, idealistic co-ed, Julie, meets a jaded, cold gang member, Robert, and cracks his icy shell, allowing the warmth of her love to awaken his soul.
To Buy Dancing in Circles go to http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PFNPMG
You can find Victoria on these links:
Blog – Victoria's Pages of Romance – http://victoriaadams.blogspot.com
Facebook - Circles Trilogy Page - http://www.facebook.com/CirclesTrilogy?ref=hl
Google+ - Victoria Adams
Plus – Triberr, Amazon Author, LinkedIn, SocialOmph, Goodreads etc
Thanks for checking out Victoria and her secrets. If you have any comments or questions Victoria will be around to answer them today.
And don’t forget to check back next Thursday to find out even more author secrets about their book. 

 

16 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for letting me visit today and I love the photo of me - except I'm a redhead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Victoria! I too had to rewrite a scene because of technology. Your book blurb sounds very intriguing. Much success in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who got caught by technology.

      Delete
  3. I love the dragon comment and am sorry that you cut it from the book. One of the reasons I like to write historicals is because I don't have to worry about updating the technology, just have to make certain it exists:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - love technology doesn't affect historicals. Yes, the dragon scene I tried to hold on to but the book was too long and some stuff had to go.

      Delete
  4. Love your picture, and your book cover. Thanks for telling us your secrets. I also have a couple of books that need to be brought up to the 21st century. It'll be like visiting old friends. I'm putting Dancing in Circles on my have to read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun updating the book to current times. Thank you for putting it on your TBR list.

      Delete
  5. I love the cover. What a fun piece about the dragon. I am sure that I breathe fire! :) The book sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a pretty exciting book. Robert's nickname might not be in it but his temper is.

      Delete
  6. Another redhead! The cover is fantastic, Victoria. I recently updated technology scenes in a book I started seventeen years ago. It'll finally see the light of day this summer. Your book sounds awesome and I wish you loads of success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - 17 years ago - yes you have some updating to do in that book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  7. I think this post is brilliant. I loved learning details about your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda - you are such a sweetie. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Victoria,

    Your words: "This book was written so long ago, cell phones didn't exist...At least once, I cheated and had the person have a dead battery in their cell."

    I understand what you mean about writing and keeping up with technology in the storyline. The lack of readily available communication options is one of the things I like about writing historicals. It can take weeks to get an important letter to someone, which makes for great plot angst.

    ReplyDelete
  9. About having a cell phone with a dead battery, my wife's cell phone is CONSTANTLY running out of "juice!" The phone has so many things it can do (camera, games, reader, etc.) that gobble up battery power it is always running out. I have a cell phone that is an older type and is just used as a phone so the requirement to charge it is once a week rather than every few hours! So don't feel that it is "unheard of" to run out of power with a cell-phone...I'm probably weird or old fashioned for having a cell phone with a batter that stays charged longer than a day! LOL

    ReplyDelete